Friday, November 7, 2008

A trip to the hospital.

I woke up on Tuesday morning with some pretty feral looking bright green discharge in my undies. Charming.

In a panic (anything green has to be bad - right?) I called Ian and asked him to come home from work and take me to the hospital. I then called the Birthing Unit and explained to them the green stuff, they told me to "pop on a pad and come on in!". She said it could be meconium in my amniotic fluid (insert freak out here) or it could be some sort of infection. Best to go in and be checked out for certain.

So, Mum came over to mind Isla and Ian and I went off to the Birthing Unit. Turns out what I consider to be green (we're talking the colour of green cordial here) isn't what they consider to be green, so there was no need to worry at all. Phew!

They put me on the CTG for a while, which brought back lots of memories from being in hospital with Isla, I would spend half an hour two or three times a day strapped to a CTG checking out my little munchkin. Thankfully the trace was fine, one very happy baby in there :)

The Dr, who was SO lovely, wanted to do a speculum (ugh!) but couldn't. I just couldn't relax enough for it to happen, so after a few attempts, he said not to worry, that he couldn't see any obvious amniotic fluid leaking, and that he thinks it could just be an infection. Midwife did the swab for Strep B and I was allowed to go home.

BUT, the Dr made a comment before we left, "I see you canceled your c-section on the 19th" and asked if I had decided on a VBAC. I couldn't believe it! I told them that I had definitely NOT canceled and that I will be having the c-section as planned, thank-you-very-much. I was so upset, it had taken quite a lot for me to a) reach the decision of having the c-section, and b) being at peace with it, so the fact I'd been taken off the list (after being on it for 3 weeks, I might add!) really pissed me off!

The midwife ducked out to check the list, and surprise!! They'd completely booked out my day!! And the days either side of it! I asked what was going to happen, they said that they'd have to either "see if they can fit me in or bump someone from the list". Honestly. The midwife said to call her back the next day and see what she could work out for me in the meantime, or I could wait until Friday and discuss it with the Registrar.

I called on Wednesday, and they said that I was booked in for the 20th - a Thursday, which is significant because they only do elective c-sections on Wednesdays and Fridays. They said to be at the hospital at 7am, I'm first on the list and barring any emergencies, I will be in theatre at 8am.

No comments:

Post a Comment